The computational power
Oktawave Cloud Instances is a server service that allows you to easily take advantage of cloud computing resources in order to create and develop scalable websites and web applications, dedicated systems or online games.
By paying only for the resources used you cut down the costs spent on IT, while maintaining the ability to rapidly adjust to changing infrastructure needs of your customers and market. Intuitive web interface of Oktawave Cloud Instances allows you to create isolated private networks and servers running different instances in just a few dozen seconds.
Additionally, you have full control over computing resources, including multi-level data storage, resource reservation, and innovative autoscaling mechanisms for a single instance or entire groups (containers).
With us you create systems, which are secure and stable.
We give you a choice of several preconfigured instances, operating systems and applications.
How to run an instance
To start the Oktawave Instances service simply:
- Select the type of operating system or application with a rich library of ready-made solutions.
- Determine the type of instance, based on the preconfigured models, the so-called templates.
- Decide what type of network connection you will need for your instance.
- Select the area of availability.
- Pay only for resources that you use (billable in hourly cycles) or reserve greater resources in advance (billable in monthly cycles).
Oktawave Instances Advantages
Diversity - we give you a choice of several preconfigured instances, operating systems and applications. You decide about the amount of memory, CPU and disk storage type (ultra fast, fast, and normal) with a guaranteed number of operations per second.
Flexibility - at any time you can change the configuration of your environment, including increase or decrease in the capacity of the drives, amount of memory or CPU. Additionally, you can enable automatic control of resource consumption, which provides a permanent allocation of resources to match current needs.
Security – Oktawave provides security infrastructure on three levels:
- ACLs (Access Control List), allowing you to define permissions for specific actions concerning the characteristics and life cycle of the instances.
- Security Network allows for permanent isolation of all instances from one another (based on the technology of Private VLANs). It also enables you to create the internal network segments, with its own addressing and without any access to public network.
- Protection and isolation of instances’ images based on the environment supervising the cloud, for which we use high-end solutions provided by VMware.
Reliability - we offer a highly available computing environment in which the reconfiguration or replacement of infrastructure elements does not affect the operation of single instances. Service agreement determines the availability of 99.9% in one area of availability.
Affordable – by using our service, you can significantly reduce infrastructure costs by choosing one of two models of payment:
- Pay-as-you-go - all resources are billed in hourly cycles. Pay only for resources you use, and not for the use of resources.
- Instances reserved - model, which allows you to easily plan your budget, because you pay in monthly cycles for available resources. In this variant, resource prices are lower, and you do not have to worry about unplanned expenses.
Control - You have full control over all instances, including root-level access to the system and to the console instance (remote desktop) without connecting it to the public network. You can perform all the operations with our web interface or our API, which enables the application to automatically manage the resources.
Universal Management - you receive from us flexible tools for controlling an instance, allowing for manual or automatic adjustment of parameters. You can also schedule the reconfiguration tasks (scheduler), change the type autoscaler or write your own modules based on our API.
Service designed to work together - Oktawave Instances can easily be used together with other Oktawave services, such as the object strorage (OCS)
Instances Oktawave Components
Just like us, you probably love when everything works as it should and you have a peace of mind. That's why we have enhanced our service of components to facilitate the construction of reliable and trouble-free systems. See how new technologies help us in providing state-of-the-art services.
Autoscaling - with a unique mechanism of observing the behaviour of instances and groups Oktawave autoscaler can dynamically change the parameters of the instance (reserving RAM, CPU – vertical autoscaling) and change the number of instances in the group that supports a particular service (horizontal autoscaling). In conjunction with load balancing autoscaling ensures a smooth, stable operation of your services no matter the circumstances.
Load Balancing - uses high-end Citrix NetScaler for load management led to instances. Load Balancing monitors load, responds to incidents of non-response of individual services and allocates clients to an instance basing on statistical data from the continuous operation of inbound traffic. Thanks to Oktawave you will maintain a sustained session using the source IP or cookies. You can also run so called geo load balancing which is used for managing traffic for instances handled by the various zones of accessibility.
Oktawave Volume Storage (OVS) - provides a durable record of the data for instances, allowing you to manage disk volumes, regardless of which instances are using them, and assign one volume to many instances at the same time, building clusters such as SQL or High Performance Computing (HPC). OVS is a standard block device running in one of three standards that guarantee the following parameters:
- Tier 1: up to 1000 IOPS and up to 150 MB/s of sustained transfer,
- Tier 2: up to 20 000 IOPS and up to 500 MB/s of sustained transfer,
- Tier 3: up to 50 000 IOPS, and 800 MB/s of sustained transfer.
- Tier 4: up to 100 000 IOPS, and 1,2 GB/s of sustained transfer.
- Tier 5: up to 200 000 IOPS, and 1,8 GB/s of sustained transfer.
Each OVS volume may at any time be migrated to a different class. Snapshots are performed in the context of the instance to which the volume is assigned.
Payments for the OVS volumes include the amount of space (in GB) and the number of performed IO operations.Private clouds – thanks to isolated internal network philosophy Oktawave allows you to easily build arbitrarily segmented network. For example, you can create a public network, in which you put web servers, internal network with databases and administrative network of sales support system. You have the guarantee of the isolation and security of each of the defined zones.
- IP classes management - Oktawave assigns addresses on the basis of DHCP and MAC address mapping. Each instance interface has a unique MAC address, to which a chosen IP address is assigned. The isolated internal zones IP addresses can be set manually or automatically (without DHCP). Oktawave fully supports both IPv4 and IPv6.
- Multiple locations - Oktawave currently supports the availability of a single zone, but after the beta phase, other zones will be built in different regions of the world. Availability zones operate fully independently of each other.
What is the difference between cloud instance and VPS?
VPS, or Virtual Private Server is a solution that is based on the sharing of resources of one physical server. Conventional virtual servers, which are devoid of centralized data storage for high-speed NAS arrays, but they are quite unpredictable.
We do not know with whom we share a physical server, when and where it is running these virtual servers, or what they do. Even if stress tests show that the virtual server is running efficiently enough, it does not mean that it will be as always, and there is guaranteed only storage capacity and not the time to access it.
Servers running in a real cloud are not limited in any way by the current availability of resources: when it comes to a situation where the memory is low the server in the cloud will be moved to other physical machines with available resources in a manner transparent to the user. Centralized storage management means that the activity of other VMs in no way affect the speed of access to data.
Cloud computing use cases
In recent years popularity of services provided online is growing rapidly Due to technology they require little human intervention, and thus allow you to automate the handling even of hundreds of thousands of customers simultaneously, for example in project management systems or a social networking sites.
Oktawave Instances is ideal for e-services providers. Instantaneously, without any costly investments in their own infrastructure, they receive access to an enormous computational power required for handling multiple users. Moreover, thanks to the flexible billing model Oktawave Instances can be easily adapted to the growing resources of customer interest.
Closed systems for businesses
It is hard to imagine running business nowadays without the support of specialized software. IT systems support virtually all business processes, from customer relations to production management.
Investing in infrastructure and IT staff, however, is costly and divert management attention from the fundamental objectives - providing value for customers. Moving company systems to Oktawave Instances eliminates problems associated with maintaining company owned IT infrastructure. There is need to purchase expensive hardware and to hire more people, because we care about the highest level of our services.
The development of the biotechnology industry increasingly depends on information technology - research requires processing large amounts of data and collaboration of scientists scattered across institutions and companies around the world.
Oktawave Instances cloud computing is ideal for life science industry. On the one hand, it allows remote sharing of resources via a secure closed network, on the other hand, it offers an enormous computing power, which usually is used for short periods of time, for example for analysing the results of subsequent experiments.